On Saturday 8th February 2020, a group of 12 bell ringers from Hornchurch and South Ockendon visited Bradwell-On-Sea for a ring on their newly restored set of 8 bells.
There had previously been 8 bells at Bradwell since 1744 but 3 bells went ‘missing’ more than 100 years ago leaving only 5 bells.
A new sixth bell was cast at the end of WW2 (to celebrate victory) but the space in the tower for the 2 other bells remained until 2017.
An extensive campaign to raise £56,000 provided the necessary funds to purchase 2 new trebles as well as refurbishing the rest of the bells, frame and fittings.
The new bells rang very well and were easy for us to handle. We enjoyed ringing some Call Changes on 8 and Plain Bob Doubles before resting in the pub opposite for a well-earned lunch.
Our thanks go to Rosemarie and the Bradwell ringers for making us so welcome.
The photo above shows the group of ringers outside the porch of the church which was also refurbished at the same time as the bells; the main change being the new outer glass doors.