After not occurring at the end of 2020 due to the suspension of in-person services because of Covid-19, the band resumed its annual tradition of ringing in the new year.
This involves a short ringing session in the chamber with open ringing before “diminishing rounds” that started at nine minutes to midnight. In the latter, all ten bells start off and one stops every minute until midnight, where the tenor chimes twelve times (this year done by Gavin Carpenter) before the entire band rings for a few minutes to accompany the fireworks.
Afterwards, refreshments were provided as usual and we wished each other a Happy New Year.
Hornchurch Bell Ringers’ Jugs and The Land of The Fanns
In 2019 the bell ringers were contacted by Debbie Kirk who has been working on a project for The Land of The Fanns and she requested more information about our bell ringers’ jugs which are displayed in the tower at St Andrew’s.
The Land of The Fanns is an area spreading across East London and South West Essex. Fanns is the Saxon word for Fen meaning ‘low marshy land or low – lying district’.
It started at Langdon Hills in 1768 when Philip Morant declared it to be the ‘greatest prospect in England’. It is a landscape rich in history and hidden gems, but often overlooked.
Across The Land of The Fanns, 100 stories have been gathered to tell the history and celebrate the people and places of the area.
Debbie Kirk chose the Hornchurch Bell Ringers’ jugs as one of the 100 Stories.
This is the full story of The Hornchurch Bell Ringers’ Jugs that Debbie Has uncovered:
The Hornchurch Bell Ringers’ Jugs and The Cove Brickworks
Grey Towers Avenue was the original driveway to Grey Towers House, a mock castle built by Henry Holmes in 1876, on land given to him by his father-in-law John Wagener who owned the Langtons estate. During his lifetime, Henry Holmes was a ship-builder, bank director, magistrate, joint owner of the Hornchurch Brewery, member of the Essex County Council, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Artillery Volunteers and leader of various charitable organizations. In the main hall at Grey Towers he displayed a pair of antique beer jugs which had been made especially for the bell ringers of St Andrew’s Church.
Directly opposite Grey Towers Avenue, on the other side of the high street, there is a block of flats on the site of what was once The Red House, and behind it was a flourishing pottery, brick and tile works, established in the early 1700s by the Cove family. It was at this pottery and brickworks that the bell ringers’ jugs were made, one in 1731 and the other in 1815. The 1731 jug (left) holds 4.5 gallons, and the 1815 jug (right) holds 6.5 gallons.
The names of the bell ringers and church wardens are engraved on both jugs, and the 1815 one bears the inscription ‘Gift of Mr C. Cove’ who was the owner of the brickworks at the time. Charles Cove also owned an old iron foundry on the opposite side of the road in a location now occupied by Sainsbury’s. In 1843 this was taken over by the Wedlake and Thompson families and renamed the Union Foundry. Robert Wedlake had established the Fairkytes Foundry in Billet Lane with his brother Thomas, but he was sacked by his sister-in-law Mary Wedlake when Thomas died in 1843, and so, with his business partner Charles Thompson, he set up the Union Foundry in direct competition with Mary Wedlake just yards away from her premises.
When Charles Thompson died two years later, his wife Ann took his place at the Union foundry. In 1847 Charles Cove died and a few months later his son, also called Charles Cove, married Ann Thompson’s daughter, also called Ann Thompson. They took over the brickworks and lived at The Red House which continued to be owned by brick-makers and builders until it was demolished in 1969 to make way for the block of flats that stands on its site today.
So how did the beer jugs end up in the main hall at Grey Towers House when the Cove family had made them specifically for the St Andrew’s bell ringers? Well, the jugs needed to be filled, so the bell ringers would take them around the village on a barrow to get them filled with beer which they drank at intervals whilst ringing the church bells. The jugs were also filled with ale brewed at Hornchurch Hall which was located opposite St Andrew’s Church and occupied by the Bearblock family, who would use the jugs to offer beer to the tenants who leased their land when they came to pay their rent. The name ‘Reverend James Bearblock’ is engraved on the 1815 bell ringers’ jug because he was the church warden at that time. The jugs were also filled at the Kings Head pub located on the high street along from Hornchurch Hall and opposite the Old Hornchurch Brewery.
Henry Holmes and his brother Benjamin owned both the Kings Head pub and the brewery. One day when the publican was late paying his rent, the Holmes brothers lost their temper, and, seeing the bell ringers’ jugs waiting to be filled with beer, they seized them and took them back to Grey Towers. The jugs remained at Grey Towers until 1914, by which time both Henry and his wife had passed away and their house and its contents were put up for auction. Henry’s children bought back the jugs at the auction and presented them to the vicar of St Andrew’s Church, always to be kept there for the bell ringers, and that is where they remain today, although not on display to the public. In 1979 a third jug was added by the bell ringers themselves to celebrate the bicentennial of the six bells at St Andrew’s Church which were cast in 1779.
With reference to Charles Perfect and thanks to Gavin Carpenter of the St Andrew’s Hornchurch Guild of Change Ringers.
Story writer/provider Debbie Kirk
Each of the stories has had a flag designed and created for them and on 30th August 2020 all 100 flags went on display at the Thames Chase Forest Centre in Upminster.
The photograph below is of the flag created for the ringers’ jugs.
With all churches closed for more than 3 months during ‘lockdown’, bell ringers have been unable to gather in their local tower to practise their art. They have, however, been able to meet virtually using a ‘meetings’ app such as ‘Zoom’ or ‘Microsoft Teams’. Many bell ringers have now combined this online meeting with a web-site that allows them to ring virtually.
St Andrew’s bell ringers have been using a virtual bell ringing web-site called ‘Ringing Room’. It was invented at the end of March by a group of bell ringers in America, partly in response to the pandemic and partly because bell ringers in America live a long way apart and needed a way to practise together.
Each tower can create their own virtual ‘Ringing Room’ and individual ringers can log on and enter their virtual tower. Each ringer is then assigned a bell rope (see screenshot below) which can be rung by touching the spacebar.
The number of bells can be varied from 4 to 12 and simple commands are possible to start and finish the ringing.
Our numbers have increased from 9 initially to 14 more recently and we have rung Rounds on 10, Plain Hunt on 5,6 & 7, Plain Bob Doubles and Grandsire Doubles. It’s a slightly different skill to ringing a church bell; no physical effort is required but the bell ringers have to listen very carefully and count their position in the sequence. This takes a while to learn and takes a lot of mental concentration.
As expected, our younger bell ringers have been quick to master the technology but some of our ‘not so young’ ringers have also benefitted from this new technology and improved their understanding of bell ringing theory considerably.
We have also trialled the online ringing with children as young as 6 and achieved positive results. The photo below shows Evan Smith smiling after ringing Plain Hunt on 4.
In Spring 2019, Mr Noel Drew presented St Andrew’s bell ringers with a commemorative plaque to be placed on the wall of the ringing room.
The plaque, shown below, is a permanent record of the names of all the bell ringers who rang at St Andrew’s on 11th November 2018 which was the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day at the end of WWI.
There were 24 ringers from St Andrew’s who took part in that ringing last November including 7 new recruits who were taught to ring as part of the ‘Ringing Remembers’ campaign. This was a national project that sought to train at least 1400 new bell ringers to symbolically replace the 1400 bell ringers who are known to have lost their lives during WWI.
At St Andrew’s we know of one local bell ringer by the name of John Brockhurst who lost his life during the Great War and we have been able to remember him by name on the commemorative plaque.
At the bell ringers Annual Dinner on 2nd November 2019, Mr Noel Drew was invited as our guest and Clive Stephenson thanked him for the plaque as being a thoughtful and generous addition to the tower. It will remain on the wall as a permanent item of interest and talking point in the years to come.
Anyone is welcome to visit the tower to view the plaque.